During swimsuit and bikini season, it used to be that some pregnant women would wear one-piece suits to cover their bump, and sometimes other women would choose a loose and flowing top that resembled a cape with straps. Each suit was designed to hide the pregnant woman's tummy. But all that has changed now in the world of maternity fashions which reflects women's preferences for swimwear apparel.
Perhaps the bikini trend for pregnant women started in Hollywood when famous actresses wanted everyone to see their baby bump, rather than hide their growing bodies under yards and yards of fabric.
Nevertheless, regardless of the season or location, pregnant women around the world are proudly showing off their tummies in public when they choose to wear bikinis. This new trend is also noticeable in everyday clothing, since many women just put on their designer elastic-waist sweat pants with a halter top or long clinging T-shirt.
The only guidelines for pregnant women wearing regular swimsuit bikinis are:
1. Make sure that you can buy tops and bottoms separately.
2. Buy a top that accommodates your enlarged bust line due to your pregnancy.
3. Choose a stretchy fabric for the bikini bottoms. Even though the bottoms will fit comfortably below your bump, the stretchiness will help your bottoms stay up better than if you were wearing a natural fabric, or one with ties at the sides.
4. Make sure you can stretch and flex your body easily while wearing the bikini, so that it doesn't feel too tight on your body.
5. You also might want to forego the thong until after the baby is born. Choose a bikini bottom that partially or fully covers your bottom, which will make the front section of the bikini bottom feel less binding.
Mix 'n match bikinis are very popular with pregnant women. Ladies can choose from many different colors, designs, styles, and sizes, while knowing that each bikini piece will fit a woman's body the way she feels most comfortable, regardless if one piece is two sizes larger than the other piece. That's the beauty of this new trend; buy separate tops and bottoms in any size you choose.
Bikinis that a pregnant woman can wear are available online through the Internet as well as in retail stores worldwide. One final caution, no matter where you buy your bikini, find out what the store's return and exchange policies are before paying for your swimsuit. Some stores honor returns and require that you pay for the return shipping, but other stores allow you only to exchange one suit for another one. Make sure you understand the store's return policy. These recent trends in swimwear make pregnant girls and women feel special. Looking good when you're pregnant is a morale-booster. Therefore, since the latest maternity swimwear shows off a woman's baby bump with pride, you can feel confident about buying and wearing a two-piece swimsuit bikini when you're pregnant.